Database error communicating with Kobo Aura HD

Bug #1641498 reported by Bruce on 2016-11-14
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
calibre
Undecided
David Forrester

Bug Description

I have a Kobo Aura HD with software version 3.19.5761, a desktop PC and a laptop both running Windows 10.

I have had no problems previously with calibre, on PC and laptop, communicating with the Kobo. However when I updated the PC to calibre V2.71 and connected to the Kobo I got an error message:

calibre, version 2.71.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device
CorruptError: database disk image is malformed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 506, in _books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1792, in books
  File "c:\cygwin64\home\kovid\sw\build\apsw-3.8.2-r1\src\cursor.c", line 231, in resetcursor
CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

The laptop, with calibre V2.48, did not generate any error message, until I updated that to V2.71.

With both machines, reverting to calibre V2.48 eliminated the error message and restored communications with the Kobo.

It looks to me like there is a bug in V2.71 interfering with communications to my Kobo via the database.

Changing the component for this bug.

 assignee davidfor
 tag kobo-driver
 status triaged

Changed in calibre:
assignee: nobody → David Forrester (davidfor)
status: New → Triaged
David Forrester (davidfor) wrote :

I'm pretty sure that the error displayed is correct. The database on the device is corrupt. There have been some large changes in the KoboTouch driver between calibre v2.48 and v2.71. This includes a change to the SQLite library used and changes to the SQL statements.

The latter change is probably what is being seen here. The change may have changed the access path in the database. This can lead to difference in how the database is read and hence corrupt portions may or may not be access. If this is correct, then it is probably just a matter of time until the corruption affects some other function of the device.

You can test the database on the device with my Kobo Utilities plugin. One of the options is a database check. If you run this, I expect you will see some errors. If you don't use this plugin, you can also use any SQLite database manager to check.

The solution for a corrupt database on the device is to sign out of the Kobo account on the device. This includes generating a new database and reloading all books.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers