'SAVE AS' COVER IMAGE -Does Not Save File

Bug #1637353 reported by str8arrow on 2016-10-28
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
calibre
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Calibre 2.70.0 ON Windows10 PRO X64
(ALSO OCCURS IN Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0)

When you DOWNLOAD METADATA (or Cover images) > THEN RIGHT-CLICK ON AN IMAGE /SELECT 'SAVE AS'

THE IMAGE IS NOT SAVED (NO FILE IS SAVED.)

This bug also occurs in Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0. (I did not test 2.56.0/2.57.0)

*It FUNCTIONS NORMALLY IN CALIBRE 2.55.0. - bug not present in this version.

Thanks ...Would appreciate it if you could fix this. Until it's fixed, I'm stuck with using v2.55.0.

I'm confused. What save as? Right clicking on a cover image in the edit
metadata dialog or in the book details panels has no save as option,
only a copy cover option.

 status incomplete

Changed in calibre:
status: New → Incomplete
str8arrow (subscrip99) wrote :

Sorry - I will clarify...my mistake, sorry.

When I click Download Cover
             (or Download Metadata > select an entry >click OK >am presented with a series of cover
               images to choose from)

> I then right-click on the cover image > select "View this cover as Full size"
> There are various options at the bottom of the window, one of which is "Save As"

>when I click "SAVE AS" to save the selected cover image
>Windows Explorer dialog opens (allows you to choose Save Location /enter filename)
>I navigate to the selected save as location , enter a filename, click "SAVE"

but the cover does not save.

I hope that clarifies things...
Thanks! Diamond

Note: there is a 2nd /separate bug - ?related. The presentation of the cover image is off in the 'Edit Metadata' Window. I can only see the top left corner of the cover - the image is not centered as it was in previous versions of calibre.

I posted a reply in launchpad - sorry, this was my mistake/lack of clarity.

When I am presented with a set of cover images (through download
covers/download metadata options)
> I right-click on a cover image
>select "View this cover at full-size"
>There are 4 options at the bottom of this window. If I select "Save As"
>I am presented with a Windows Explorer dialog box (to enter save
location/filename)
>when I enter the save location and filename >then click "Save"

*the image is not saved.

This does not occur with Calibre 2.55.0
It DOES occur with Calibre 2.60.0 thru to 2.69.0
(I did not test Calibre 2.56.0 -2.59.0)

Thanks for getting back to me...
Diamond

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Kovid Goyal <email address hidden>
wrote:

> I'm confused. What save as? Right clicking on a cover image in the edit
> metadata dialog or in the book details panels has no save as option,
> only a copy cover option.
>
> status incomplete
>
> ** Changed in: calibre
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1637353
>
> Title:
> 'SAVE AS' COVER IMAGE -Does Not Save File
>
> Status in calibre:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Calibre 2.70.0 ON Windows10 PRO X64
> (ALSO OCCURS IN Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0)
>
> When you DOWNLOAD METADATA (or Cover images) > THEN RIGHT-CLICK ON AN
> IMAGE /SELECT 'SAVE AS'
>
> THE IMAGE IS NOT SAVED (NO FILE IS SAVED.)
>
> This bug also occurs in Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0. (I did not test
> 2.56.0/2.57.0)
>
> *It FUNCTIONS NORMALLY IN CALIBRE 2.55.0. - bug not present in this
> version.
>
> Thanks ...Would appreciate it if you could fix this. Until it's fixed,
> I'm stuck with using v2.55.0.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1637353/+subscriptions
>

I cannot replicate this on my Win10 machine with calibre 2.70. Steps I
tried:

1) Click Edit Metadata
2) Click Download cover
3) Right click one of the downloaded covers and select "View at ful
size"
4) Click Save as
5) Browse to the pictures folder on my computer
6) Type the filename test.jpeg
7) Click OK
8) The file test.jpeg is created in the folder with the cover image

The only thing I can think of is that the folder you are trying to save
to is readonly or you dont have permissions to modify it.

 status invalid

Changed in calibre:
status: Incomplete → Invalid

Hi Kovid -
I've tried this with various folders /drivers, and I've checked attributes
to ensure I have full permission.
This error keeps cropping up.
It does not occur with Calibre 2.55 but it DOES occur with 2.59-2.69
If you have any suggestions, please advise.
Thanks!
Diamond

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Kovid Goyal <email address hidden>
wrote:

> I cannot replicate this on my Win10 machine with calibre 2.70. Steps I
> tried:
>
> 1) Click Edit Metadata
> 2) Click Download cover
> 3) Right click one of the downloaded covers and select "View at ful
> size"
> 4) Click Save as
> 5) Browse to the pictures folder on my computer
> 6) Type the filename test.jpeg
> 7) Click OK
> 8) The file test.jpeg is created in the folder with the cover image
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the folder you are trying to save
> to is readonly or you dont have permissions to modify it.
>
> status invalid
>
> ** Changed in: calibre
> Status: Incomplete => Invalid
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1637353
>
> Title:
> 'SAVE AS' COVER IMAGE -Does Not Save File
>
> Status in calibre:
> Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> Calibre 2.70.0 ON Windows10 PRO X64
> (ALSO OCCURS IN Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0)
>
> When you DOWNLOAD METADATA (or Cover images) > THEN RIGHT-CLICK ON AN
> IMAGE /SELECT 'SAVE AS'
>
> THE IMAGE IS NOT SAVED (NO FILE IS SAVED.)
>
> This bug also occurs in Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0. (I did not test
> 2.56.0/2.57.0)
>
> *It FUNCTIONS NORMALLY IN CALIBRE 2.55.0. - bug not present in this
> version.
>
> Thanks ...Would appreciate it if you could fix this. Until it's fixed,
> I'm stuck with using v2.55.0.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1637353/+subscriptions
>

update to 2.71 I have changed that code to give a more detailed error
message, that might tell you what the problem is.

Thanks Kovid - Will download and install and get back to you with
resulting error.

Re: the cover image error - you mentioned it was likely Hi DPI
display/QT_pixel_device_ratio error. I suspected it had something to do
with the Hi DPI display but didn't suspect the environment variable. I've
adjusted /set QT_device_pixel_ratio to <auto> - perhaps that's it?? If so
I'm thrilled ot hear that calibre3.0 will include an adjustment for Hi DPI
displays..until then I suppose I'll have to live with the mis-rendered
cover images (the GUI is not usable on a 13" screen unless I adjust
QT_pixel_device_ratio.).

Diamond

Last note: Please accept my heartfelt thanks for all of your hard work with
Calibre. It has been incredibly helpful to me. I'm a physician, with my own
health problems (on health leave as a result). I use Calibre routinely and
can't imagine doing without it. (I use ebooks almost exclusively now
because of my health situation - and for the same reason, I need to file
the ebooks - also need to, convert and edit the ebooks so they are more
readable on my PC/ ereader.) Thank you so for making Calibre available to
me without cost, and to so many others ....it's indispensable.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Kovid Goyal <email address hidden>
wrote:

> update to 2.71 I have changed that code to give a more detailed error
> message, that might tell you what the problem is.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1637353
>
> Title:
> 'SAVE AS' COVER IMAGE -Does Not Save File
>
> Status in calibre:
> Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> Calibre 2.70.0 ON Windows10 PRO X64
> (ALSO OCCURS IN Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0)
>
> When you DOWNLOAD METADATA (or Cover images) > THEN RIGHT-CLICK ON AN
> IMAGE /SELECT 'SAVE AS'
>
> THE IMAGE IS NOT SAVED (NO FILE IS SAVED.)
>
> This bug also occurs in Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0. (I did not test
> 2.56.0/2.57.0)
>
> *It FUNCTIONS NORMALLY IN CALIBRE 2.55.0. - bug not present in this
> version.
>
> Thanks ...Would appreciate it if you could fix this. Until it's fixed,
> I'm stuck with using v2.55.0.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1637353/+subscriptions
>

Kovid Goyal (kovid) wrote :
Download full text (3.5 KiB)

You're welcome :)

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 07:55:11PM -0000, str8arrow wrote:
> Thanks Kovid - Will download and install and get back to you with
> resulting error.
>
> Re: the cover image error - you mentioned it was likely Hi DPI
> display/QT_pixel_device_ratio error. I suspected it had something to do
> with the Hi DPI display but didn't suspect the environment variable. I've
> adjusted /set QT_device_pixel_ratio to <auto> - perhaps that's it?? If so
> I'm thrilled ot hear that calibre3.0 will include an adjustment for Hi DPI
> displays..until then I suppose I'll have to live with the mis-rendered
> cover images (the GUI is not usable on a 13" screen unless I adjust
> QT_pixel_device_ratio.).
>
> Diamond
>
> Last note: Please accept my heartfelt thanks for all of your hard work with
> Calibre. It has been incredibly helpful to me. I'm a physician, with my own
> health problems (on health leave as a result). I use Calibre routinely and
> can't imagine doing without it. (I use ebooks almost exclusively now
> because of my health situation - and for the same reason, I need to file
> the ebooks - also need to, convert and edit the ebooks so they are more
> readable on my PC/ ereader.) Thank you so for making Calibre available to
> me without cost, and to so many others ....it's indispensable.
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Kovid Goyal <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > update to 2.71 I have changed that code to give a more detailed error
> > message, that might tell you what the problem is.
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> > report.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1637353
> >
> > Title:
> > 'SAVE AS' COVER IMAGE -Does Not Save File
> >
> > Status in calibre:
> > Invalid
> >
> > Bug description:
> > Calibre 2.70.0 ON Windows10 PRO X64
> > (ALSO OCCURS IN Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0)
> >
> > When you DOWNLOAD METADATA (or Cover images) > THEN RIGHT-CLICK ON AN
> > IMAGE /SELECT 'SAVE AS'
> >
> > THE IMAGE IS NOT SAVED (NO FILE IS SAVED.)
> >
> > This bug also occurs in Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0. (I did not test
> > 2.56.0/2.57.0)
> >
> > *It FUNCTIONS NORMALLY IN CALIBRE 2.55.0. - bug not present in this
> > version.
> >
> > Thanks ...Would appreciate it if you could fix this. Until it's fixed,
> > I'm stuck with using v2.55.0.
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1637353/+subscriptions
> >
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to
> calibre.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1637353
>
> Title:
> 'SAVE AS' COVER IMAGE -Does Not Save File
>
> Status in calibre:
> Invalid
>
> Bug description:
> Calibre 2.70.0 ON Windows10 PRO X64
> (ALSO OCCURS IN Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0)
>
> When you DOWNLOAD METADATA (or Cover images) > THEN RIGHT-CLICK ON AN
> IMAGE /SELECT 'SAVE AS'
>
> THE IMAGE IS NOT SAVED (NO FILE IS SAVED.)
>
> This bug also occurs in Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0. (I did not test
> 2.56.0/2.57.0)
>
> *It FUNCTIONS NORMALLY IN CALIBRE 2.55.0. - bug not present in this
> version.
>
> Thanks ...Would appreciate it if ...

Read more...

str8arrow (subscrip99) wrote :
Download full text (6.8 KiB)

Hi Kovid -

OK, Calibre 2.7.1 installed.
I realized that Calibre doesn't detect the image format/ doesn't
automatically append the .jpg/.png/.jpeg file extension as it did i Calibre
2.55. (my layman's view).
Here's the detailed report: (copied directly from Calibre /Show Details):
-see under signature.

Will await your feedback ...Thanks so much.

Diamond

--------------------------------------------
Dr. D.S.Alidina
<email address hidden>
---------------------------------------------
DETAILED ERROR REPORT FOLLOWS:

calibre, version 2.71.0

ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:Failed to export image as
I:\F-EBOOK & ECOOKBOOKS\F-CALIBRE\CALIBRE 1 - MAIN LIBRARY\ELLIS,
DAVID\COVER1 with error: Unsupported image format

calibre 2.71 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 3, 6) && K4PC,
K4Mac, Kindle Mobi and Topaz DeDRM (0, 3, 8) && Inept Epub DeDRM (0, 1, 7)
&& Find Duplicates (1, 6, 2) && Temp Marker (1, 2, 2) && food network
Recipe Reader (1, 0, 2) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 12) && Open With (1, 5, 8)
&& Generate Cover (1, 5, 15) && Obok DeDRM (3, 1, 6) && eReader PDB 2 PML
(0, 0, 6) && Reading List (1, 6, 5) && all recipes Recipe Reader (1, 0, 1)
&& Ignoble Epub DeDRM (0, 1, 6) && Derive_Genres (1, 1, 4) && Inept PDF
DeDRM (0, 1, 4) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Search The Internet (1, 7,
4) && BigOven Recipe Reader (1, 0, 1) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 75,
0) && Recipe Reader (1, 0, 1) && Author Book Count (2, 0, 2) && User
Category (1, 5, 3) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && Goodreads (1, 1, 8) &&
Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\image_popup.py", line 73, in
save_image
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\img.py", line 148, in save_image
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\img.py", line 137, in image_to_data
ValueError: Failed to export image as I:\F-EBOOK &
ECOOKBOOKS\F-CALIBRE\CALIBRE 1 - MAIN LIBRARY\ELLIS, DAVID\COVER1 with
error: Unsupported image format

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 12:06 AM, Kovid Goyal <email address hidden>
wrote:

> You're welcome :)
>
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 07:55:11PM -0000, str8arrow wrote:
> > Thanks Kovid - Will download and install and get back to you with
> > resulting error.
> >
> > Re: the cover image error - you mentioned it was likely Hi DPI
> > display/QT_pixel_device_ratio error. I suspected it had something to do
> > with the Hi DPI display but didn't suspect the environment variable. I've
> > adjusted /set QT_device_pixel_ratio to <auto> - perhaps that's it?? If so
> > I'm thrilled ot hear that calibre3.0 will include an adjustment for Hi
> DPI
> > displays..until then I suppose I'll have to live with the mis-rendered
> > cover images (the GUI is not usable on a 13" screen unless I adjust
> > QT_pixel_device_ratio.).
> >
> > Diamond
> >
> > Last note: Please accept my heartfelt thanks for all of your hard work
> with
> > Calibre. It has been incredibly helpful to me. I'm a physician, with m...

Read more...

Fixed in branch master. The fix will be in the next release. calibre is usually released every Friday.

 status fixreleased

Changed in calibre:
status: Invalid → Fix Released

Hi Kovid -thanks so much!
I appreciate your letting me know directly ...and thank you for addressing
it so quickly.
Diamond
---------------------------------------
Dr. D.S. Alidina
<email address hidden>
---------------------------------------.

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 3:41 AM, Kovid Goyal <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Fixed in branch master. The fix will be in the next release. calibre is
> usually released every Friday.
>
> status fixreleased
>
> ** Changed in: calibre
> Status: Invalid => Fix Released
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1637353
>
> Title:
> 'SAVE AS' COVER IMAGE -Does Not Save File
>
> Status in calibre:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Calibre 2.70.0 ON Windows10 PRO X64
> (ALSO OCCURS IN Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0)
>
> When you DOWNLOAD METADATA (or Cover images) > THEN RIGHT-CLICK ON AN
> IMAGE /SELECT 'SAVE AS'
>
> THE IMAGE IS NOT SAVED (NO FILE IS SAVED.)
>
> This bug also occurs in Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0. (I did not test
> 2.56.0/2.57.0)
>
> *It FUNCTIONS NORMALLY IN CALIBRE 2.55.0. - bug not present in this
> version.
>
> Thanks ...Would appreciate it if you could fix this. Until it's fixed,
> I'm stuck with using v2.55.0.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1637353/+subscriptions
>

Hi Kovid, I have a quick question..but firstly: Thank you for emailing me
re: resolution of bug 1637353 (cover images). I'm looking very forward to
Calibre 3 because I have a high pixel density display (newer versions of
calibre display only the upper right quadrant of cover images, so i'm using
v2.55 till v3 is released...just in case it helps you to know that!)

*More importantly, I have a quick question as I'm editing my library and
have found the python 'split' function does not work. *
*(I want to take the first 2 words of the series name -to use in a custom
'Book Title' column.) *
*I created a temp column to hold the first 2 words of the series name - **MY
TEMPLATE FOR #temp is *
                  *#series:split{}[:2]*

*This does not work.* If I can get it working my book title column will use
this template: {#temp}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

Thanks Kovid -
Dr. Alidina

*NB I've read the calibre template language documentation - it indicates
that python commands should translate to calibre (but perhaps they require
some modification I'm not aware of??)

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Kovid Goyal <email address hidden>
wrote:

> I'm confused. What save as? Right clicking on a cover image in the edit
> metadata dialog or in the book details panels has no save as option,
> only a copy cover option.
>
> status incomplete
>
> ** Changed in: calibre
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1637353
>
> Title:
> 'SAVE AS' COVER IMAGE -Does Not Save File
>
> Status in calibre:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Calibre 2.70.0 ON Windows10 PRO X64
> (ALSO OCCURS IN Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0)
>
> When you DOWNLOAD METADATA (or Cover images) > THEN RIGHT-CLICK ON AN
> IMAGE /SELECT 'SAVE AS'
>
> THE IMAGE IS NOT SAVED (NO FILE IS SAVED.)
>
> This bug also occurs in Calibre 2.58.0 - 2.69.0. (I did not test
> 2.56.0/2.57.0)
>
> *It FUNCTIONS NORMALLY IN CALIBRE 2.55.0. - bug not present in this
> version.
>
> Thanks ...Would appreciate it if you could fix this. Until it's fixed,
> I'm stuck with using v2.55.0.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1637353/+subscriptions
>

The best place to ask for help with template related questions is inthe
calibre mobileread.com forums.

> *NB I've read the calibre template language documentation - it indicates
> that python commands should translate to calibre (but perhaps they require
> some modification I'm not aware of??)

The last time I read the template documentation, it *strongly* implied
that python commands are NOT valid in calibre's template language, and
then went on to document the whole, entire valid range of calibre
template functions (which is considerably smaller than the python
programming language, and almost completely fails to overlap at all).

You can, however, create new calibre template functions using python, as
described in the template documentation under the header "User-defined
Template Functions". That is the only python involved in the template
language.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers