MacOSX: problems in full screen mode
Calibre 2.16 AND 2.17 under MacOSX 10.10.1 (Yosemite).
There are some problems in MacOSX Yosemite in full screen mode. To reproduce it, try the following:
1. Enter full screen mode (press the green button on the top left corner).
2. Go to preferences. They are now in full screen mode, but no menu appears when you move the mouse to the top of the screen. This is the first bug, the preferences shouldn't be in full screen.
3. Close the preferences and go back to windowed mode. Sometimes you can't, because no window controls (red and green buttons when you move the mouse to the top of the screen) show up. This is the second bug, but I can't always reproduce it. If you quit calibre you get a black screen. If you open calibre again, it'll be in full screen mode, but this time you should be able to see the window controls and put it back into window mode.
4. However, if you open the preferences, it is still in full screen mode. That is, if you open the preferences while in full screen mode, it will always stay in full screen mode, even when calibre is back in window mode. This is the most important but that I want to report.
Here is a fix on how to bring back the preference pane in to window mode:
1. Make sure calibre is in window mode.
2. Open preferences. They will be in full window mode. (If they aren't, then no need to read this.)
3. Go to the menu Calibre -> preferences (yes, again). A new preference window will show, still in full screen mode. But this time, the window controls will show when you move the mouse to the top of the screen, and you can put it in window mode (press the green button).
4. ctrl+down arrow (show all windows of an application). You should see two windows with the preference pane open, one in full screen (no window buttons) and the other in window mode (with window buttons). Select the full screen preferences window (no window buttons), and close it.
5. ctrl+down arrow. You should see two windows: the normal Calibre main window and a preference window. Select the preference window and close it.
6. The preference window now acts normally. You can open it again and shrink it a bit (bottom right corner) calibre.