Bug report: "Fetch Annotations" does not work on Kindle Paperwhite
OS: Windows 7 x64.
Device: Kindle Paperwhite.
If I annotate a file by highlighting portions of the file, or adding a note, it would be great to be able to view the file, complete with annotations, on my PC.
However, the "Fetch annotations (experimental)" feature doesn't seem to work with my Kindle.
Here is how to reproduce the problem:
1. Highlight some text in a book on the Kindle Paperwhite. Lets call this "MyBook".
2. Connect Kindle Paperwhite to PC via USB port.
3. In Calibre, click "Device", right click "MyBook", then "Add Books To Library".
4. In Calibre, click "Library", right click "MyBook", then "Fetch Annotations (experimental)".
5. View "MyBook", the annotations do not appear.
Ideally, this process would be 100% transparent to the end user. If the user annotates a book on their Kindle, then plugs their Kindle into the PC, Calibre would pop up "New highlights and annotations in books on Kindle detected. Do you wish to copy these annotations into your library?".
At this point, it would copy the files in, and the viewer would display the book, exactly as it would display on the Kindle (with highlights and annotations).
p.s. Calibre is amazing. You are doing the world an incredible service by writing this program, and by making ebooks easier to work with, you are helping to increase literacy, which will make the world a far better place.
p.p.s. It would be great if there was some way to actually copy the annotations the original source file, especially for .pdf files.