Wrong Path Separator in bzr output on Windows

Bug #369404 reported by Martitza on 2009-04-29
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Bazaar
Medium
Unassigned
Breezy
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

bzr 1.3.1 installed via the "default" installer for Windows

On windows, bzr accepts input using the windows path separator \ but prints all output using the unix separator /

As silly as this sounds, this little annoyance makes some people (my coworkers) doubt that bzr is serious about supporting windows.

Session attached.

I go back and forth a lot between linux and windows. So I make heavy use of os.sep and think it would be a good idea for bzr also.

Martitza

Martitza (martitzam) wrote :
Martitza (martitzam) wrote :

Could this be a result of bzr-for-windows being built under cygwin or mingw?

If so, is there a way around this at build-time? Or is there any plan for a native windows port?

-M

+1 to get this fixed. Would like to get my windows co-workers off my back about it.

Martin Pool (mbp) wrote :

I'd happily take a patch (that pases tests) that changes us to using os.sep here.

Changed in bzr:
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed

If I can find some time to do a proper job I may look at this. I can
imagine that the separator may be hardcoded or cannonicalized to the unix
form in very many places. Just finding them might take a while.

And besides passing the existing tests, should there be any new tests?

Also I can imagine people have written scripts which depend on existing
behavior and might want a bzr.config option to control how output is formed:

path_sep_for_output = mode

with mode being "slash" or "backslash" or "native" where "native" would be
the default to use os.sep

-M

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Martin Pool <email address hidden> wrote:

> I'd happily take a patch (that pases tests) that changes us to using
> os.sep here.
>
> ** Changed in: bzr
> Importance: Undecided => Medium
>
> ** Changed in: bzr
> Status: New => Confirmed
>
> --
> Wrong Path Separator in bzr output on Windows
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/369404
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Bazaar Version Control System: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> bzr 1.3.1 installed via the "default" installer for Windows
>
> On windows, bzr accepts input using the windows path separator \ but prints
> all output using the unix separator /
>
> As silly as this sounds, this little annoyance makes some people (my
> coworkers) doubt that bzr is serious about supporting windows.
>
> Session attached.
>
> I go back and forth a lot between linux and windows. So I make heavy use
> of os.sep and think it would be a good idea for bzr also.
>
> Martitza
>

Martin Pool (mbp) wrote :

2009/5/30 Martitza <email address hidden>:
> If I can find some time to do a proper job I may look at this.  I can
> imagine that the separator may be hardcoded or cannonicalized to the unix
> form in very many places.  Just finding them might take a while.
>
> And besides passing the existing tests, should there be any new tests?

If you add a new option you'll need new tests. Otherwise, the
existing tests may need to be parameterized to check paths using an
abstracted function.

> Also I can imagine people have written scripts which depend on existing
> behavior and might want a bzr.config option to control how output is formed:
>
> path_sep_for_output = mode
>
> with mode being "slash" or "backslash" or "native" where "native" would be
> the default to use os.sep

That would be nice.
--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>

Jelmer Vernooij (jelmer) on 2011-02-01
tags: added: win32
Jelmer Vernooij (jelmer) on 2017-11-08
tags: added: check-for-breezy
Jelmer Vernooij (jelmer) on 2018-09-23
Changed in brz:
status: New → Triaged
importance: Undecided → Medium
tags: removed: check-for-breezy
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers