files whose content changed after EOL filtering erroneously marked as modified

Bug #362030 reported by Benoit Pierre on 2009-04-15
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Ian Clatworthy

Bug Description

Using the latest version (1.15dev) and the script attached (WARNING, this script will change you ~/.bazaar/rules and delete any "test" file/dir in the current working directory), here is what I get:

~/tmp # ./
+./> rm -rf test
+./> mkdir test
+./> tee /home/bpierre/.bazaar/rules
[name *]
eol = lf
+./> bzr init --format 1.14 test/trunk
Created a standalone tree (format: 1.14)
+./> bzr help > test/trunk/text
+./> file test/trunk/text
test/trunk/text: ASCII text
+./> bzr add test/trunk/text
adding text
+./> bzr commit -m 1 test/trunk
Committing to: /home/bpierre/tmp/test/trunk/
added text
Committed revision 1.
+./> bzr co --lightweight test/trunk test/work
+./> file test/work/text
test/work/text: ASCII text
+./> bzr stat test/work
+./> bzr diff test/work
+./> bzr zap test/work
+./> tee /home/bpierre/.bazaar/rules
[name *]
eol = crlf
+./> bzr co --lightweight test/trunk test/work
+./> file test/work/text
test/work/text: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
+./> bzr stat test/work
+./> bzr diff test/work
=== modified file 'text'

If I remove the 'text' file and then revert it, EOLs get changed to LF. If I use a non-lightweight checkout, and do a 'bzr remove-tree --force' followed by 'bzr checkout', then EOLs get also changed to LF.

Benoit Pierre (benoit.pierre) wrote :
Ian Clatworthy (ian-clatworthy) wrote :

Fritz Jalvingh also reported on 28/May/2009 ...

I'm trying to get the new EOL conversion support to work on my existing
repostories but am running into some trouble.

Initially I could not get the filters to work at all. I created a shared
repository using init-repo --1.14-rich-root, then branched an existing repo
into there. Whatever I did in that repo - no filter action was taking place.

After some debugging I found out that not only the shared repo needs a proper
format but the branched repo needs a higher format too... It used working tree
format 4 while at least 5 was needed... That was not very clear to me (first
time I ever encountered a working tree format) - it might be a good idea to at
least put that in the reference documentation.
It might also be a good idea to at least show a warning when someone tries to
use EOL filtering while the underlying format(s) do not support it - it now
failed without any indication and that was hard to debug; I only found out
about this after lavishly sprinkling print statements thru the bazaar source
code ;-)

OK, now filtering works but I have something unexpected. I'm running on Linux,
and all of my filtered files have been commited using lf eols (in the

So, as a test, I added eol = crlf to the rules file for all files and branched.
The result was a filtered working tree (files have crlf line endings) but all of
these files show as "modified". bzr status shows all 8000 of them as modified;
doing a bzr diff on a file shows no changes:

jal@pyramides:~/new2/trunk$ bzr diff to.etc.domui/.classpath
=== modified file 'to.etc.domui/.classpath'

I tried commiting; it commits all of these files but after the commit all files
are still changed....

For me this means eol filtering is currently unusable.

I might do something wrong but I have no idea what..

My shared repo shows:

jal@pyramides:~/new2$ bzr info --verbose
Shared repository with trees (format: 1.14-rich-root or 1.9-rich-root)
  shared repository: .

       control: Meta directory format 1
    repository: Packs 6 rich-root (uses btree indexes, requires bzr 1.9)

Create working tree for new branches inside the repository.

      5788 revisions

The underlying repo (filtered with problems) shows:

jal@pyramides:~/new2/trunk$ bzr info --verbose
Repository tree (format: 1.14-rich-root)
  shared repository: /home/jal/new2
  repository branch: .

Related branches:
  parent branch: /home/jal/new/trunk

       control: Meta directory format 1
  working tree: Working tree format 5
        branch: Branch format 7
    repository: Packs 6 rich-root (uses btree indexes, requires bzr 1.9)

In the working tree:
      5319 unchanged
      8679 modified
         0 added
         0 removed
         0 renamed
         0 unknown
         0 ignored
      1513 versioned subdirectories

Branch history:
      1195 revisions
       357 days old
   first revision: Thu 2008-06-05 23:32:54 +0200
  latest revision: Thu 2009-05-28 18:22:41 +0200

      5788 revisions

Changed in bzr:
assignee: nobody → Ian Clatworthy (ian-clatworthy)
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → In Progress
Ian Clatworthy (ian-clatworthy) wrote :

Here's the email thread re Frits' problem:

John A Meinel (jameinel) wrote :

just targetting 1.16 so we don't forget

Changed in bzr:
milestone: none → 1.16
Ian Clatworthy (ian-clatworthy) wrote :

in r4431

Changed in bzr:
status: In Progress → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Bug attachments