Eclipse unusable after installation of plugin

Bug #288801 reported by Frits Jalvingh on 2008-10-24
2
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Bazaar Plugin for Eclipse
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I updated to version 1.1.0 of the plugin. This version is unusable; it has the following problems:
- Mouse clicks to get the context menu on either the file or even in the editor take 5 to 10 seconds to appear; during this time a bzr process uses 100% CPU on one processor.
- After a while Eclipse starts dying because "too many files are open"
- When starting up it can take up to a minute before things work; opening Java files for instance shows empty, grey windows. Only when the bzr process finally finishes using 100% CPU can windows be opened.

I would love to backout to the earlier version which worked rather well; sadly enough the update site only has the latest version.. It might be a good idea to keep earlier versions there as well so people can easily revert back to a working version.

Guillermo Gonzalez (verterok) wrote :

Thanks for reporting this.
Please, check what version of xmloutput plugin you have installed. it should be >= 0.8 (current trunk is highly recommended if you are using bzr trunk)
Also, if you can attach you current bzr.log and <WOKRSPACE>/.metatata/.log, that would help to diagnose the problem
In case we can solve this right away, you want to revert back to a previous version, there are archived update-sites at: http://verterok.com.ar/bzr-eclipse/archive/

Regargs,

Changed in bzr-eclipse:
status: New → Triaged
Frits Jalvingh (fjalvingh) wrote :

I'm using xmloutput 0.8 already.
Where can I find a bzr.log file?

I made a Wireshark trace of the huge amount of communication between Eclipse and the running bzr instance on port 11111 (see attachment, compressed using bzip2 in libpcap format; this can be opened with wireshark).

I also attach a bzip2'ed .log. Hope you can fix this problem because all my refactorings are lots'o work now ;-)

Frits Jalvingh (fjalvingh) wrote :

Hi Frits,

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Frits Jalvingh <email address hidden> wrote:
> I'm using xmloutput 0.8 already.
> Where can I find a bzr.log file?

to find the .bzr.log file, run: 'bzr version' that 'll show the
location fo bzr.log

>
> I made a Wireshark trace of the huge amount of communication between
> Eclipse and the running bzr instance on port 11111 (see attachment,
> compressed using bzip2 in libpcap format; this can be opened with
> wireshark).
>

Thanks for trace!

> I also attach a bzip2'ed .log. Hope you can fix this problem because all
> my refactorings are lots'o work now ;-)
>
After looking the .log file, I discovered the problem :-)
It seems you are using bzr 1.8, there si a known Bug #280888 and
that's what you're hitting.

I'll be releasing a new version of xmloutput (0.9 ) soon, Just need to
fix a few issues with encodings, in the meantime you can pull the fix
from the trunk, just: bzr branch lp:bzr-xmloutput

And bzr-eclipse should be working right away, so no more refactoring loss ;-)

Just a note, torecord the moves made by a eclipse refactor, you can
use: bzr mv --after

Cheers,

--Guillermo

>
> ** Attachment added: "Eclipse .log file"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/19003649/eclipse-dot-log.bz2
>
> --
> Eclipse unusable after installation of plugin
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/288801
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of bzr-
> eclipse developers, which is subscribed to Bazaar Plugin for Eclipse.
>
> Status in Bazaar Plugin for Eclipse: Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> I updated to version 1.1.0 of the plugin. This version is unusable; it has the following problems:
> - Mouse clicks to get the context menu on either the file or even in the editor take 5 to 10 seconds to appear; during this time a bzr process uses 100% CPU on one processor.
> - After a while Eclipse starts dying because "too many files are open"
> - When starting up it can take up to a minute before things work; opening Java files for instance shows empty, grey windows. Only when the bzr process finally finishes using 100% CPU can windows be opened.
>
> I would love to backout to the earlier version which worked rather well; sadly enough the update site only has the latest version.. It might be a good idea to keep earlier versions there as well so people can easily revert back to a working version.
>

Frits Jalvingh (fjalvingh) wrote :

Hi Guillermo,

That explains it.. I just moved back to an earlier bzreclipse version and had the same problem while that worked like a charm before... Thanks a million, also for the "bzr mv" tip ;-)

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers