Please backport audacity 1.3.7-1 from Jaunty

Bug #301429 reported by Nicola Ferralis on 2008-11-23
32
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Audacity
Invalid
Undecided
Unassigned
Hardy Backports
Undecided
Unassigned
Intrepid Ibex Backports
Undecided
Unassigned
audacity (Baltix)
Undecided
Unassigned
audacity (Debian)
Fix Released
Undecided
Unassigned
audacity (Ubuntu)
Wishlist
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: audacity

Upstream released 1.3.6 (currently 1.3.5 in hardy, intrepid, jaunty).
Request for update in jaunty.

In particular, this release fixes the bug in "Get Noise Profile", as explained here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/audacity/+bug/290100/comments/2

Complete changelog:
Changes in 1.3.6 Beta (since Alpha 1.3.6a6):

Interface:
        * "Save Compressed Copy of Project" saves in much smaller .OGG
           format to facilitate online transmission of projects
        * Improved MIDI import and export routines, and clearer color
           for selection region
        * Default temporary directory on Mac now accessible in Finder

Import / Export:
 * Stability improvements in on-demand loading
        * FFmpeg: support for latest version of library, improved
           version checks and error messages, stability improvements
           in custom exporter

Bug Fixes:
        * Crash in "Get Noise Profile" step of Noise Removal at project
           rates below 20480 Hz.
        * Underestimation of peak level in tracks with a small number
           of different peaks
        * Truncate Silence could result in repeated or lost audio if
           applied to the whole of a track
        * Other interface, generating, exporting and platform-specific
           fixes

Compilation:
        * Added autoconf macro archive to CVS, enabling *.nix users
           without this archive to build --with -MIDI

Arnaud Soyez (weboide) wrote :

Confirmed.

Upstream Download link: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Changed in audacity:
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in audacity:
status: Unknown → New
Hew (hew) wrote :

Backport tasks are invalid since 1.3.6 does not exist in the Ubuntu archives.

This upgrade will mostly fix bug 201291.

Changed in audacity:
importance: Undecided → Wishlist
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Changed in hardy-backports:
status: New → Invalid
Changed in intrepid-backports:
status: New → Invalid
description: updated

On 12/29/2008 03:28 AM, Hew McLachlan wrote:
> Backport tasks are invalid since 1.3.6 does not exist in the Ubuntu
> archives.
>
> This upgrade will mostly fix bug 201291.
>
> ** Changed in: audacity (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => Wishlist
> Status: Confirmed => Triaged
>
> ** Changed in: hardy-backports
> Status: New => Invalid
>
> ** Changed in: intrepid-backports
> Status: New => Invalid
>
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - Update audacity to 1.3.6 and backport it to intrepid and hardy
> + Update audacity to 1.3.6
>
> ** Description changed:
>
> Binary package hint: audacity
>
> Upstream released 1.3.6 (currently 1.3.5 in hardy, intrepid, jaunty).
> - Request for update in jaunty and backport to hardy, intrepid.
> + Request for update in jaunty.
>
> In particular, this release fixes the bug in "Get Noise Profile", as explained here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/audacity/+bug/290100/comments/2
>
> Complete changelog:
> Changes in 1.3.6 Beta (since Alpha 1.3.6a6):
>
> Interface:
> * "Save Compressed Copy of Project" saves in much smaller .OGG
> format to facilitate online transmission of projects
> * Improved MIDI import and export routines, and clearer color
> for selection region
> * Default temporary directory on Mac now accessible in Finder
>
> Import / Export:
> * Stability improvements in on-demand loading
> * FFmpeg: support for latest version of library, improved
> version checks and error messages, stability improvements
> in custom exporter
>
> Bug Fixes:
> * Crash in "Get Noise Profile" step of Noise Removal at project
> rates below 20480 Hz.
> * Underestimation of peak level in tracks with a small number
> of different peaks
> * Truncate Silence could result in repeated or lost audio if
> applied to the whole of a track
> * Other interface, generating, exporting and platform-specific
> fixes
>
> Compilation:
> * Added autoconf macro archive to CVS, enabling *.nix users
> without this archive to build --with -MIDI
>

Maybe we should backport 1.3.5-2 to start with since we havent released
1.3.6 in Jaunty I'm guessing user will be happy about that but i dont
know the package that well.

--
Sincerely Yours,
    John Vivirito

https://launchpad.net/~gnomefreak
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JohnVivirito
Linux User# 414246

"How can i get lost, if i have no where to go"
    -- Metallica from Unforgiven III

1.3.5-2 is already in hardy-backports and intrepid. 1.3.6 was released 2 months ago, I think that is what will make the user happy :-)

diff.gz attached for 1.3.6.

Please let me know if I need to attach a debdiff, or if I should change anything (I'm new to this thing :-)). For example, I'm not sure if the version should be -0ubuntu1.

Alright, trying to do it the proper way: Filed a debian bug to see if we can get this in there instead.

Allisson Azevedo (allisson) wrote :

Audacity 1.3.6 Debian Unstable: http://packages.debian.org/sid/audacity

Please sync with debian version.

Changed in audacity:
status: Triaged → Confirmed
Hew (hew) on 2009-01-14
Changed in audacity:
status: Confirmed → Triaged
importance: Unknown → Undecided
status: Unknown → New
status: New → Invalid

Marking as duplicate of bug #317254: this one is just subscribed to Ubuntu Package Archive Administrator, so I think that they will do the sync soon!

Changed in audacity:
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Changed in intrepid-backports:
status: Invalid → New
Changed in hardy-backports:
status: Invalid → New

Reverting backport status to New, now Audacity 1.3.6-2 is present in Jaunty archives!
I've tried to build it with prevu but I've got some errors: it can't find automake1.10; so I've backported automake1.10 but it continues to fail with the same error (see attach): maybe prevu uses the default automake and not the latest version (1.10)?

Benjamin Drung (bdrung) wrote :

You do not need to backport automake1.10. You only have to add automake to build dependencies. Have a look at my PPA: https://launchpad.net/~bdrung/+archive

As suggested by Benjamin I've added automake to build dependencies and now it builds fine, I've just uploaded it to my PPA (intrepid). If everything works fine we can ask for a source-change backport...or maybe we could wait for the upcoming 1.3.6-3?

If someone wants to test Audacity 1.3.6-2 with Hardy I've prepared a little patch to compile it with the version of alsa-lib shipped with Hardy...
The package is in my PPA: note that I'm not sure that it works correctly! :P

Changed in hardy-backports:
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in intrepid-backports:
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in audacity:
importance: Unknown → Undecided
status: New → Fix Released

Only remaining opened tasks are backports tasks. I have unsubscribed Ubuntu Sponsors for Universe.

David Henningsson (diwic) wrote :

Jaunty now has 1.3.7-1, perhaps that version should be backported instead?

Audacity builds on intrepid with no source changes.
On hardy, we need to use the internal soundtouch, since libsoundtouch is not available on hardy. Attached is the debdiff for a working hardy build.

These packages build on my system, but as of yet, I haven't had the possibility to test run them. Please do so, and report your success.

Hardy:
http://naderehvandi.net/audacity/audacity_1.3.7-1~hardy1~8.04prevu1_amd64.deb
http://naderehvandi.net/audacity/audacity-data_1.3.7-1~hardy1~8.04prevu1_all.deb
http://naderehvandi.net/audacity/audacity-dbg_1.3.7-1~hardy1~8.04prevu1_amd64.deb

Intrepid:
http://naderehvandi.net/audacity/audacity_1.3.7-1~intrepid1~8.10prevu1_amd64.deb
http://naderehvandi.net/audacity/audacity-data_1.3.7-1~intrepid1~8.10prevu1_all.deb
http://naderehvandi.net/audacity/audacity-dbg_1.3.7-1~intrepid1~8.10prevu1_amd64.deb

I confirm that it works fine on Intrepid.

michael37 (misha37) wrote :

To khashayar: I ran into this problem today -- I am using Hardy and libsoundtouch is missing. Is there a working i386 version somewhere? I looked at your PPA and couldn't find it.

teledyn (garym-teledyn) wrote :

+1 for me on the need for an i386 version of the Naderehvandi patched version for Hardy.
Also, will this update also fix the crash-on-effect-preview bug?

Cosme Domínguez (cosme) wrote :
Changed in intrepid-backports:
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Evan Broder (broder) wrote :

It looks like this bug requests a backport from Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope). However, as Jaunty is no longer supported, such a backport is no longer possible.

This bug is being set to "Won't Fix". If you would still like to move forward with this backport request, please re-open the bug and adjust it to request a backport from a current release.

(This change is being made by an automated bot run by Evan Broder, who is now subscribed to the bug; if you think the change was made in error, please feel free to re-open the bug)

Changed in hardy-backports:
status: Confirmed → Won't Fix
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.