Discoverability of applications is poor
It's very hard to discover what interesting applications are installed when using the applications panel. The default view shows six items alphabetically sorted. On a default install these are 'About Me', 'Additional Drivers', 'Aislerot Solatire', 'Appearance', 'Arista Transcoder', and 'Assistive Technologies'. Four of these are control panels, and one is a game. Clicking on 'Show more' adds an extra row with visible text and another row with the text cut off. I have to click another button to make the grid take up the whole screen, which then shows 54 items in alpha sort. Scrolling in the list is difficult.
I don't know what most of these applications are or do. I don't know which are important or interesting.
* Shrink the default spacing to fit more in the default view
* Sort by popularity?
* Group by category so that they're easier to scan?
* Demote control panels to a different panel or group?
* Add some type of description of the function of each application?
* Suggest interesting programs at the top of the list?