dpkg status lock race after a transaction is done

Reported by Dmitry Shachnev on 2010-10-23
This bug affects 223 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Aptdaemon
High
Unassigned
aptdaemon (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
Maverick
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Update Manager displayed this message when I clicked "Install updates"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 179, in _process_transaction
    self.commit_packages(*self.trans.packages)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 227, in commit_packages
    self._commit_changes()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 738, in _commit_changes
    self._cache.commit(fetch_progress, inst_progress)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
    return func(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 427, in commit
    res = self.install_archives(pm, install_progress)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
    return func(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 394, in install_archives
    install_progress.finish_update()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/progress.py", line 264, in finish_update
    lock.status_lock.acquire()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/lock.py", line 66, in acquire
    raise LockFailedError(self.path, process)
LockFailedError
---
Architecture: i386
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Beta i386 (20100318)
Package: aptdaemon 0.31+bzr506-0ubuntu2
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=ru_RU.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.35-generic 2.6.35.4
Tags: maverick
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
UserGroups: adm admin audio cdrom dialout dip fax floppy fuse lpadmin netdev plugdev sambashare tape video

apport information

tags: added: apport-collected
description: updated

Could you please append the output of the following command:

apt-config dump

summary: - Unhandlable error (LockFailedError)
+ Unhandlable programming error (LockFailedError) - StatusLock seems to be
+ not set
summary: - Unhandlable programming error (LockFailedError) - StatusLock seems to be
- not set
+ Unhandlable programming error (LockFailedError) - lock.status_lock
+ doesn't contain a valid path
Changed in aptdaemon:
status: New → Confirmed
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
importance: Undecided → High

Ok. Since it's a laptop, this dump is made only after reboot.

Josiah Eubank (iosadastra) wrote :

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 179, in _process_transaction
    self.commit_packages(*self.trans.packages)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 227, in commit_packages
    self._commit_changes()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 738, in _commit_changes
    self._cache.commit(fetch_progress, inst_progress)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
    return func(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 427, in commit
    res = self.install_archives(pm, install_progress)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
    return func(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 394, in install_archives
    install_progress.finish_update()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/progress.py", line 264, in finish_update
    lock.status_lock.acquire()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/lock.py", line 66, in acquire
    raise LockFailedError(self.path, process)
LockFailedError

Error I am receiving

Jonathan Riddell (jr) wrote :

aptdaemon in maverick-proposed Unapproved queue, awaiting ubuntu-sru approval

Accepted aptdaemon into maverick-proposed, the package will build now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

tags: added: verification-needed

An aptdaemon security update was released that does not include the fixes from this package in -proposed. A new package needs to be built for -proposed.

Filip Nohe (filipnohe) wrote :

I got a similar error when I clicked "Install updates" today:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 179, in _process_transaction
    self.commit_packages(*self.trans.packages)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 227, in commit_packages
    self._commit_changes()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 738, in _commit_changes
    if self.trans.cancelled:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
    return func(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 427, in commit
    res = self.install_archives(pm, install_progress)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
    return func(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 394, in install_archives
    install_progress.finish_update()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/progress.py", line 264, in finish_update
    lock.status_lock.acquire()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/lock.py", line 67, in acquire
    raise LockFailedError(self.path, process)
LockFailedError

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Are any of the three bugs that the current maverick-proposed update fixes also fixed in trunk/natty? If so, please close the natty tasks. If not, please fix in trunk/natty ASAP, otherwise this can't go to -updates.

How do I close the task? I stopped using Ubuntu a while ago.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Martin Pitt <email address hidden>wrote:

> Are any of the three bugs that the current maverick-proposed update
> fixes also fixed in trunk/natty? If so, please close the natty tasks. If
> not, please fix in trunk/natty ASAP, otherwise this can't go to
> -updates.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (677287).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/665572
>
> Title:
> Unhandlable programming error (LockFailedError) - lock.status_lock
> doesn't contain a valid path
>
> Status in Aptdaemon:
> Incomplete
> Status in “aptdaemon” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Update Manager displayed this message when I clicked "Install updates"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 179,
> in _process_transaction
> self.commit_packages(*self.trans.packages)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 227,
> in commit_packages
> self._commit_changes()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 738,
> in _commit_changes
> self._cache.commit(fetch_progress, inst_progress)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in
> deprecated_function
> return func(*args, **kwds)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 427, in
> commit
> res = self.install_archives(pm, install_progress)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in
> deprecated_function
> return func(*args, **kwds)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 394, in
> install_archives
> install_progress.finish_update()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/progress.py", line 264,
> in finish_update
> lock.status_lock.acquire()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/lock.py", line 66, in
> acquire
> raise LockFailedError(self.path, process)
> LockFailedError
> ---
> Architecture: i386
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Beta i386 (20100318)
> Package: aptdaemon 0.31+bzr506-0ubuntu2
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcEnviron:
> LANG=ru_RU.utf8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.35-generic 2.6.35.4
> Tags: maverick
> Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
> UserGroups: adm admin audio cdrom dialout dip fax floppy fuse lpadmin
> netdev plugdev sambashare tape video
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/aptdaemon/+bug/665572/+subscribe
>

@Martin: Ican not nominate for natty here, launchpad oopses when I try that. But all the fixes in -proposed are also in natty. But please note that the bugs are not fixed yet the code just adds a lot more details to diagnose the problem.

Accepted aptdaemon into maverick-proposed, the package will build now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: New → Fix Committed
Michael Vogt (mvo) on 2011-03-08
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: Fix Committed → Confirmed

Thanks, everything works fine after update.
Please let me know if you need further information.

Jan Vreeman

Martin Pitt schreef op di 08-03-2011 om 08:38 [+0000]:
> Accepted aptdaemon into maverick-proposed, the package will build now
> and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to
> enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!
>
> ** Also affects: aptdaemon (Ubuntu Maverick)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> ** Changed in: aptdaemon (Ubuntu Maverick)
> Status: New => Fix Committed
>

tags: added: verification-done
removed: verification-needed

Fixed in rev. 605 upstream

Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Fix Committed
Changed in aptdaemon:
status: Incomplete → Fix Committed
summary: - Unhandlable programming error (LockFailedError) - lock.status_lock
- doesn't contain a valid path
+ dpkg status lock race after a transaction is done
Michael Vogt (mvo) on 2011-04-14
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Andrea Hall (ajh432) wrote :

Hi, I have a similar prob:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 179, in _process_transaction
    self.commit_packages(*self.trans.packages)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 227, in commit_packages
    self._commit_changes()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 738, in _commit_changes
    self._cache.commit(fetch_progress, inst_progress)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
    return func(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 427, in commit
    res = self.install_archives(pm, install_progress)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
    return func(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 394, in install_archives
    install_progress.finish_update()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/progress.py", line 264, in finish_update
    lock.status_lock.acquire()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/lock.py", line 66, in acquire
    raise LockFailedError(self.path, process)
LockFailedError

So, in easy to understand terms for a non-techie, what do I do?
Thanks,
Andrea

Hi Andrea
Actually, at that level I am a non-techie too. I reported the problem
when it happened, but by the time I had used the update manager a couple
of times the problem apparently just fixed itself because somebody who
did know what they were doing applied a fix, patch , whatever, to the
appropriate package. Seems to have had something to do with that stupid
front that makes the PC look like a phone/pad. Now gone back to Gnome 2.

Cheers, Ralph

On 31/08/2011 1:21 PM, Andrea Hall wrote:
> Hi, I have a similar prob:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 179, in _process_transaction
> self.commit_packages(*self.trans.packages)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 227, in commit_packages
> self._commit_changes()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 738, in _commit_changes
> self._cache.commit(fetch_progress, inst_progress)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
> return func(*args, **kwds)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 427, in commit
> res = self.install_archives(pm, install_progress)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/deprecation.py", line 98, in deprecated_function
> return func(*args, **kwds)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 394, in install_archives
> install_progress.finish_update()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/progress.py", line 264, in finish_update
> lock.status_lock.acquire()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/lock.py", line 66, in acquire
> raise LockFailedError(self.path, process)
> LockFailedError
>
> So, in easy to understand terms for a non-techie, what do I do?
> Thanks,
> Andrea
>

Hello friends
I reported the problem and it has never shown again. I have no worries
concerning this.
Best regards
Filip

Dmitry Shachnev (mitya57) wrote :

Will there be a Maverick SRU for this? The package is stuck in -proposed.

@Andrea: Which version of Aptdaemon do you have (i.e. apt-cache policy aptdaemon)?

Changed in aptdaemon:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Adolfo Jayme (fitoschido) wrote :

Maverick is an end-of-life release now.

Changed in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Maverick):
status: Fix Committed → Won't Fix
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers